Sunday 22 November 2020

Alabama Don't Give Up Hope Sweater

Don't give up hope could be the anthem for this year. As I typed this I was thinking about the Peter Gabriel song Don't Give Up which suited my mood but...


...in my Google search I found this song Don't Give up Hope by Third Day which whilst not my type of music its lyrics are tailor made for now even though it was released in 2010.


However this is a sewing blog and it is all about a piece of fabric purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics at the beginning of the year in the early days of COVID when my fabric still flew across the Pacific Ocean to arrive swiftly in my collection. Now shipping takes so long the fabric must be swimming here under its own steam which is a positive as I am less tempted to buy it!

The finished garment

This top has been worn quite a bit and goes nicely with my Megan Nielsen Flint mustard boyfriend jeans which hadn't been made when these photographs were taken. These pictures were taken at different times over the two months I spent at home earlier this year and contrary to the evidence I didn't spend the whole two months wearing this pair of Andrea Moore Boyfriend jeans. It is quite revealing that I am wearing different shoes (Trippen Fight boots in the first collage and Clamp Uncut ankle boot in the second) but the same trousers.

Creates Sew Slow: Alabama Don't Give Up Hope Sweater

Creates Sew Slow: Alabama Don't Give Up Hope Sweater

A Gorgeous Fabrics label was used in this top to remind me of where the fabric came from and the photographer even took a picture of the top with the label sticking out to prove it!

The fabric

This fabric is the Don't Give Up Hope Italian rayon jersey knit purchased in February 2020 from Gorgeous Fabrics. A very popular fabric that flew off the shelf and I was lucky to get a piece. I was attracted to the colours and print not realising then how much we would need such a sentiment this year.

Creates Sew Slow: Alabama Don't Give Up Hope Sweater

The pattern

The Alabama Sweater pattern can be made in tunic, top or crop top versions. It features a V-neckline and is loosely fitted through the bust with a generous flare to the hem. The Sweater pattern also includes five sleeve variations (sleeveless, cap, short, three-quarter and long-fluted sleeves). The tunic measures approximately 29", the top 26" and the crop top 23" in length. It was part of the Alabama Chanin 2016 Build a Wardrobe programme.

The PDF download includes the nested pattern and comes in sizes XS to XXL along with instructions for fabric selection, cutting, and garment construction.

Creates Sew Slow: Alabama Don't Give Up Hope Sweater

The pattern card

I am loving my pattern cards as they are a great aide memoire. For example I really thought this top was sewn during April whilst we were keeping safe at home (also known as lock down) but apparently it was sewn in early March only a month after the fabric was ordered. This must be the year of sew one of the fabrics purchased immediately. That could almost be considered stash reduction if I only bought my fabrics one at a time!

Creates Sew Slow: Alabama Don't Give Up Hope Sweater

The pattern alterations

This is a previously used pattern and I made no changes to it, sewing the size medium top version with elbow length sleeves and a forward shoulder adjustment.

Until I read my old post I had forgotten that the original pattern came in so many variations and am now tempted by a short sleeve or sleeveless one. Maybe even a tunic version to be worn with leggings.

The sewing

One of the quick and easy to sew tops, which was the sum total of my sewing at the beginning of the year. It didn't really fit into my Sunset SWAP but suited my mood and need for brain optional sewing.

The seams were sewn with the overlocker (a four thread stitch) and the hems on the trusty Singer Featherweight. Fold-over elastic (black with white polka dots) was used to bind the neck edge, sewn on with a straight stitch on the Featherweight.  I even followed the order of construction included in the pattern instructions just not hand sewn in the Alabama Chanin way.

Outfit of the day

There are no pictures of this top being worn in the real world, only garden pictures. An indication of the times we lived in when this top was newly sewn.

There is more venturing out now as New Zealand has managed to stay pretty much COVID free. Even went to a craft fair today which apart from the hand sanitiser and recording the visit on the contact tracing app is how life used to be. 

6 comments:

  1. Vancouver Barbara22 November 2020 at 05:50

    Such a beautiful print. Great colors. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have left overs for something else. Just need some other bits and bobs for a mix and match re-make idea floating around in my head.

      Delete
  2. What a perfect fabric for this year and so lively. The polka dot elastic for the neck binding works really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A real example of you never know what is around the corner. When I first found the fabric I felt that others would need the sentiment more than me. Little did we know that we would all need a strong dose of hope to get through the year.

      Delete
  3. Stephanie - I can`t believe I missed so many entries last year. I am catching up on your wonderful blog, which imparts so much joy and good sense. It's cheering me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie. Easy to miss when my posting is so intermittent but on the positive side it won't take you long to catch-up!!

      Delete